I don’t usually write an extra article just one day after a regular post, but I have been a Bo Diddley fan since my high school years, so this is my small tribute to the rock & roll legend who died today at age seventy-nine. There isn’t a huge connection between Bo and Elvis, but there are a few goodies.
The First Bo Diddley Album I Purchased
Elvis was also definitely a Bo Diddley fan. In 1956, while Elvis was in New York to appear on the Dorsey Brothers Stage Show TV program, he went to the Apollo Theater to see Bo Diddley perform.
In the early years of Bo Diddley’s career, he wiggled his hips a good bit while singing. Elvis was becoming a national sensation with his gyrations at the same time, so some people thought Elvis was copying Bo Diddley’s style of performing. Bo has been quoted, “If he copied me, I don’t care. More power to him. I’m not starving.” Of course, Elvis had been shaking his hips since an August 1954 concert at the Overton Park Shell in Memphis, so Elvis came up with his movements a year-and-a-half before ever seeing Bo Diddley perform.
However, the myth of Elvis copying Bo endured. In an August 16, 2007 article, NY Daily News writer David Hinkley wrote: “The one bright spot in the trip, apparently, was a trip to the Apollo Theater to see Bo Diddley. Elvis loved Bo's music and Bo would later say Elvis stood in the wings and studied Bo's moves, close variations of which would later show up in Elvis' own act.” It sounds like Bo Diddley cared more than he had originally let on.
So far as is known, Elvis performed one Bo Diddley song in concert. On December 28, 1976, at a performance in Dallas, Elvis sang “Hey Bo Diddley.” Technically, the song was an instrumental featuring drummer Ronnie Tutt, with Elvis just scatting along from time to time. You can here this version on the bootleg Elvis album called “A Hot Winter Night In Dallas,” or the CD of the same name, released in 1998.
And finally, here is my favorite Bo Didley story, reprinted from the February 11, 2007 ElvisBlog article titled “Elvis and Ed Sullivan.”
Early in 1956, as Elvis’ career took off, Ed Sullivan was not interested in booking Elvis on his show. Sullivan even stated to the press, “He is not my cup of tea.” So, when Col. Parker offered to book Elvis for $5,000, Sullivan turned it down.
Another reason for Sullivan’s rejection was the famous Bo Diddley incident that turned Sullivan against all rock & rollers. In November of ’55, two of the hottest songs in the country were “Sixteen Tons” by Tennessee Ernie Ford and “Bo Diddley” by Bo Diddley. Sullivan booked both singers on the same show, but Ford had to cancel at the last minute. For some reason, Sullivan thought the song was more important than the artist, and he pressed Bo Diddley to sing “Sixteen Tons” on the live show.
If you remember “Sixteen Tons” and the music of Bo Diddley, you know how ridiculous that notion was. Bo Diddley certainly must have thought so, but he was just starting out and needed the exposure. He didn’t fight with Sullivan’s producer. They printed up cue cards with the lyrics to “Sixteen Tons” for Diddley, and he did the song in rehearsal. However, when it was show time, Diddley performed his own song. This enraged Sullivan, and he vowed to see that Diddley would never appear again on TV. Of course, this did not happen, but he was banned from ever appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show again.
Bo Diddley Performing In 2006
Bo, you were an original, and we will miss you.
(C) 2008 Philip R Arnold All Rights Reserved www.ElvisBlog.net
The Last 50 Posts
- Fans Show Their Love for Elvis with Flowers August 15, 2019
- Eye Candy (4) for Elvis Fans August 10, 2019
- Graceland Introduces Elvis Unplugged August 2, 2019
- Elvis Pseudo-Stamps with Bonus Artwork July 27, 2019
- Some Elvis Pictures I’ve Never Seen Before – Part 13 July 20, 2019
- Celebrating National Hot Dog Day with Elvis July 17, 2019
- The Good, the Bad, and the Mildly Amusing July 12, 2019
- Happy 4th of July, Elvis — Once Again July 3, 2019
- ElvisBlog’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Snub List June 29, 2019
- Fun with Gold Lamé — Part 3 June 23, 2019
- Elvis and American Eagle Day June 20, 2019
- Elvis Goodies from the Fuzzy Room – Part 7 June 16, 2019
- Eye Candy (3) for Elvis Fans June 8, 2019
- Some Interesting Stuff about Hallmark’s Wedding at Graceland May 31, 2019
- Do You Remember This? May 29, 2019
- Elvis T-Shirt Review – Summer 2019 May 25, 2019
- Some Elvis Pictures I’ve Never Seen Before – Part 12 May 18, 2019
- Colorful Elvis Modern Art May 11, 2019
- What It Was Like Discovering Elvis in 1956 May 4, 2019
- National Pretzel Day — Elvis Style April 26, 2019
- Postscripts to Earlier ElvisBlog Articles April 20, 2019
- Searching for the Graceland Exhibition Center April 12, 2019
- Eye Candy (2)….for Elvis Fans April 6, 2019
- Some Elvis Pictures I’ve Never Seen Before – Part 11 March 30, 2019
- What Do Chubby Checker and George Thorogood Have in Common? March 23, 2019
- Remembering Elvis-A-Rama March 16, 2019
- New Arrivals at the Internet Elvis Stores March 9, 2019
- Eye Candy for Elvis Fans March 1, 2019
- Graceland Introduces After-Parties February 23, 2019
- My Picks for Best and Worst at the Elvis All-Star Tribute February 19, 2019
- A Belated Goodbye to George Klein February 15, 2019
- Elvis Goodies from the Fuzzy Room – Part 6 February 10, 2019
- Graceland Vocabulary Now Includes After-Party February 2, 2019
- Some Elvis Pictures I’ve Never Seen Before – Part 10 January 27, 2019
- Red Velvet Shirt is Top Prize at Elvis Auction – Even with Part of it Missing January 19, 2019
- Graceland Auction Creates New Fan Experiences (and Funds Charity) January 12, 2019
- Some Elvis Birthday Pictures I’ve Never Seen Before January 7, 2019
- Some ElvisBlog Stuff January 6, 2019
- Happy New Year December 31, 2018
- Some Elvis Pictures I’ve Never Seen Before – Part 9 December 29, 2018
- Christmas Greetings from ElvisBlog December 23, 2018
- ElvisBlog Mini-Nuggets # 25 December 15, 2018
- Elvis, Santa, and Kurt Russell December 6, 2018
- ’68 Comeback Special – A Wardrobe Review November 30, 2018
- A Blog Without Pictures (not cool, but necessary) November 24, 2018
- The Ghost of Thanksgiving Past November 21, 2018
- Will the Official Graceland Store have Anything Left to Sell on Black Friday? November 17, 2018
- Update on BIG E Sales November 12, 2018
- Hey, How About Giving Me A Hand Here November 11, 2018
- Deeper Look at a Recent Elvis Auction Item November 3, 2018
Subscribe to Blog via Email